Author of the bestselling Magicians trilogy and journalist at Time magazine, Lev Grossman has following advise for aspiring writers:
- Get your stuff in on time.
- Don’t write anything that you wouldn’t say out loud – don’t say “perhaps,” say “maybe.” Don’t say “yet” when you mean “but.” And so on.
- Read read read, all you can, all the time. Don’t worry about other people influencing you, that’s a good thing. Your voice will still be your own.
- Write write write. Writing is a craft not a gift. You have to practice.
- Get lots of sleep. 6. Make an outline.
- Don’t assume other people are smarter than you, or more talented than you, or more magic than you. Nobody knows anything. Everybody’s faking it.