24 WAYS, a yearly online journal which began in 2005 targeting web geeks, appears every December 1 with a new articles everyday for next 24 days. It publishes 24 very interesting articles on web design & web development.
To-day is December 1 and it’s 2017 issue of 24 Ways time. Next 24 days, we will enjoy a new article on Web Design for next 24 days. There are very interesting articles in the previous issues. For this year, I will lists the posts that I am interested to learn in coming year 2018.
Selected List of Posts from 2017 December Issue
- Cascading Web Design with Feature Queries – Chen Hui Jing. In this article Chen guide us how to make use of CSS Feature Queries using At-Rules in web development.
- Lint the Web Forward With Sonarwhal – Stephanie Drescher. In this posts Stephanie discusses about Sonarwal, a web tool to check best practices in five categories: Accessibility, Interoperability, Performance, PWAs, and Security.
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines – Alan Dalton. In this post Alan discusses importance web accessibility and provides guideline for web developers & designers. Sami Keijonen in his guest post Building an Inclusive Web: Why Accessibility Matters offers his ideas about web accessibility and why it is important for all developers to follow web accessibility guidelines.
- Levelling Up for Junior Developers – Dean Hume. This post is very resourceful with tons of useful links to become a better web developer.
- Automating Your Accessibility Tests – Seren Davies. In this article Seren provides very useful tool (pa11y), tips & snippets for automating accessibility tests for a site.
- Styling Components – Typed CSS With Stylable – Bruce Lawson. Bruce introduces CSS-in-JS concept for CSS pre-processing (like LESS, SCSS do) called Stylable. It is being used in Wix Engineering.
- Teach the CLI to Talk Back – Anna Debenham. Interesting article by Anna about overcoming fear of using CLI (an essential tool for all developers.
- Design Systems and CSS Grid – Stuart Robson. In this article Stuart discusses grid system (old system with column) and new CSS Grid and applies CSS Grid layout to create a marketing page. A great tutorial article.
- Getting Hardboiled with CSS Custom Properties – Andy Clarke. In this article Andy explains how to use CSS Custom property without browser support.
- Why Design Systems Fail – Una Kravets. A good discussion of web design system and why it fails?
- Accessibility Through Semantic HTML – Laura Kalbag. In this article Laura discusses the importance of using simple un-bloated semantic HTML structure for better design & accessibility.
- Care and Feeding of Burnout – Jessica Rose. Professional or general burnout doing too much for too long time is common phenomenon most hardworking individuals. Jessica provides guidelines to recover from this work fatigue.
- Refactoring Your Way to a Design System – by Mina Markham. Mina has very useful tips for all web designers & developers.