The WordPress Gutenberg block editor, released as part of the WordPress 5.0 release, in the mist of controversy last year, is celebrating its first anniversary with the recent WordPress 5.3 release. The Block editor is being development as Gutenberg plugin and major developmental versions are released for testing & feed back. At the of writing this post, its latest release is 6.9.
Improvement in Editing Features
The 5.3 release integrates Gutenberg plugin versions from 5.5 to 6.5 with bug & performance fix versions 6.6 & 6.7. All the major development versions of the plugins are covered by WP Tavern, and Justin Tadlock of WP Tavern, has put together the following list in this recent post for an easy reference.
- Gutenberg 5.5 Adds New Group Block for Nesting Child Blocks
- Gutenberg 5.7 Adds New Block Appender for Group and Columns Blocks
- Gutenberg 5.8 Released with Prototype of New Block-based Widgets Screen
- Gutenberg 5.9 Brings Major Improvements to Block Grouping, Introduces Snackbar Notices
- Gutenberg 6.0 Adds Layout Picker to Columns Block
- Gutenberg 6.1 Introduces Animation to Block Moving Actions, Adds Block-Based Widgets Screen Experiments
- Gutenberg 6.2 Adds Nesting Capabilities to Cover, Media & Text Blocks
- Gutenberg 6.3 Improves Accessibility with New Navigation and Edit Modes
- Gutenberg 6.4 Adds New Typewriter Experience, Cover Block Resizing, and Block Inserter Help Panel
- Gutenberg 6.5 Adds Experimental Block Directory Search to Inserter and New Social Links Block
The following experimental features